If you would like to complain to the BBC regarding the recent Panorama programme (mentioned in this article), you can do the following:
1) Log onto:
2) Use the following details for your complaint:
- Type of complaint: Television
- Choose channel: BBC One
- Programme title: Panorama
- Transmission date: 12/01/2015
- Broadcast type: Live
- Incident time: 20:30
- Complaint category: Bias
- Contacted us before: No
- Complaint title: Unfair bias in Panorama show
2) Use any of the following factors for your complaint description:
The report fell down on many factors:
- It provided very skewed and unbalanced reporting. It made no reference to real reports or evidence but provided opinion pieces showing a lacking of empirical evidence.
- The vast majority of views of those interviewed were all from one side of the argument barring one.
- It never referenced academics. It ignored academics that have written reports disproving the theory that somehow beliefs that are perfectly legal and non-violent cause violence and terrorism. For example, experts like John Horgan, director of the International Center for the Study of Terrorism at Pennsylvania State University, who said:
“The idea that radicalisation causes terrorism is perhaps the greatest myth alive today in terrorism research… (First), the overwhelming majority of people who hold radical beliefs do not engage in violence. And second, there is increasing evidence that people who engage in terrorism don’t necessarily hold radical beliefs.”
- It used terms like extremism without providing any definition (to actually show that by “extreme” it meant views the presenter disagreed with)
- It quoted speakers out of context e.g. H. Al-Haddad was quoted to misrepresent that he believes that men and women are not “equal” in the sense understood commonly. The Qur’an explicitly states they are. No scholar would claim otherwise. No context given showing he was referring to a particular childish, literal interpretations of equality (to ignore the differences between men and women).
For more suggestions and a detailed example of a complaint about the programme you can visit: http://trendingnewsz.com/how-to-complain-to-the-bbc-about-panorama
The views expressed on Islam21c and its connected channels do not necessarily represent the views of the organisation.