The preservation of human life is unanimously rendered an underlying objective of Islamic law. Thus, as Muslims, we are encouraged to take conscious steps towards protecting humankind. This can be maintained and fostered through carrying out varying charitable actions in our day-to-day lives. Amongst those virtuous actions is donating blood.
While going about our daily lives, we can unexpectedly find ourselves in situations where we are in dire need of blood to survive. Events such as car accidents, surgeries, cancer treatments, and childbirth may require blood transfusions.
Allah (subḥānahu wa ta’āla) says,
مَن قَتَلَ نَفْساً بِغَيْرِ نَفْسٍ أَوْ فَسَادٍ فِي الأَرْضِ فَكَأَنَّمَا قَتَلَ النَّاسَ جَمِيعاً وَمَنْ أَحْيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَا أَحْيَا النَّاسَ جَمِيعاً
“Whoever takes a life – unless as a punishment for murder or mischief in the land – it will be as if they killed all of humanity; and whoever saves a life, it will be as if they saved all of humanity.” 
This verse prompts us to reflect upon the tremendous importance given to saving human life in any way, shape, or form possible.
al-Rāzi, a classical exegetist, explores some of the ways we can fulfil the Qur’ānic order of preserving human life:
المُرادُ مِن إحْياءِ النَّفْسِ تَخْلِيصُها عَنِ المُهْلِكاتِ مِثْلِ الحَرْقِ والغَرَقِ والجُوعِ المُفْرِطِ والبَرْدِ والحَرِّ المُفْرِطَيْنِ
“What’s intended by ‘saving human life’ is to strive to extricate it from all potential harms such as, burns, drowning, starvation, and excessive cold/ heat”. 
Here are some practical lessons we can draw from the above:
- The preservation of human life can be carried out by various different charitable actions;
- Contributing towards the preservation of human life through donating blood is immensely rewarding;
- Through donating blood, we could be alleviating the ailments and struggles of others.
Having recognised the significance of donating blood, why not consider the following?
- Locate the nearest blood donation centre to you, and arrange regular appointments with the aim of attaining reward;
- Highlight the importance of donating blood to family and friends in order to gain additional reward.
As we think about searching for the nearest blood donation centre to us, let’s continue to keep up-to-date with the upcoming articles.
In Part 14 of this series, we will explore the positive impact of sending others gifts. Do you regularly offer presents to your loved ones?
 al-Qur’ān, 5:32
 Tafsīr al-Rāzi